An exceprt from Helon Habila’s new book, The Chibok Girls. Schoolboys with a school in Borno state, northeastern Nigeria. Credit: Roberto Saltori. Three days before my trip to Chibok, I had flown into Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state, from Nigeria‘s capital Abuja. The flight had been delayed for over an hour due to bad weather. The Harmattan hung over...Read More »
Photo: Daily Trust
The International Organisation for Migration, IOM, said it rescued no fewer than 600 people since April 2017 through a new search and rescue operation that targeted migrants stranded in Sahara Desert.
The UN migration agency, however, regretted that 52 migrants, mostly from The Gambia, Nigeria, Senegal and Cote d'Ivoire, died over the period, according to its statement on Tuesday.
"We are enhancing our capacity to assist vulnerable migrants stranded in Northern Agadez, towards the Niger-Libya border.
"Saving lives in the desert is becoming more urgent than ever.
"Since the beginning of the year we have been receiving frequent calls to rescue victims who embark on this route," Giuseppe Loprete, Niger Chief of Mission for IOM, said.
According to him, a 22-year-old woman was the only female among the survivors of a rescue mission on May 28.
"She left Nigeria in early April hoping for a better future in Europe.
"There were 50 migrants on the pick-up truck when it left Agadez for Libya, but only six are still alive today," Loprete said.
Recounting her ordeal, the Nigerian survivor said: "We were in the desert for 10 days. After five days, the driver abandoned us.
"He left with all of our belongings, saying he was going to pick us up in a couple of hours, but he never did," she recalled.
During the next two days, 44 of the migrants died which persuaded the six left to start walking to look for help.
"We had to drink our own pee to survive," she said.
On June 9, another 92 migrants were also rescued through an IOM search and rescue operation; among them were 30 women and children.
More recently, 24 migrants were taken to Seguedine, where one died on arrival.
"Among the 23 survivors are migrants from Gambia, Nigeria, Senegal and Cote d'Ivoire. It was not clear for how long they had been walking in the deserts of central Niger.
"They had been in a group of 75 migrants in three different cars, eventually abandoned by smugglers during the journey north," Loprete said.
IOM said it had recorded 52 deaths since it launched a new project "Migrants Rescue and Assistance in Agadez Region" (MIRAA) in April.
The project will last for 12 months, and aims to ensure the protection of migrants in hard-to-reach areas while also strengthening the management of migration by the Government of Niger, it said.
MIRAA is complementary to the larger initiative "Migrant Resource and Response Mechanism" (MRRM), which aims to bring together in one mechanism a wide range of services and assistance for migrants, including assisted voluntary return to their countries of origin and reintegration once they return.
(NAN)Read More »
Daily Post NigeriaEdo Assembly confirms Obaseki's commissioners [Full list]Daily Post NigeriaEdo State House of Assembly on Wednesday confirmed 18 commissioner nominees submitted by Governor Godwin Obaseki. The list was sent by Obaseki in a letter to the House on June 19. In the letter, addressed to the Speaker Dr. Justin ...Edo Assembly confirms 18 commissioner nomineesVanguardEDHA Confirms 18 Commissioner NomineesIndependent Television and RadioEdo Assembly confirms 18 commissioners for ObasekiNIGERIAN TRIBUNE (press release) (blog)CHANNELS TELEVISION -NAIJ.COM -The Nation Newspaper -The Newsall 10 news articles »Read More »
CHANNELS TELEVISIONNigerian Corruption Investigator Shot and Wounded as He Leaves WorkU.S. News & World ReportLAGOS (Reuters) - An investigator at Nigeria's financial crimes agency was shot after leaving his office, underlining the dangers faced by those looking into corruption, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) said on Wednesday.Nigeria: Just in - Top EFCC Investigator ShotAllAfrica.comNigeria's top anti-graft agent shot byRead More »
VanguardOsinbajo : Presidency to continue consultations on Nigeria's unityPulse NigeriaThe consultations by the Presidency with various segments of the Nigerian society will continue, the Spokesman of the Acting President, Mr Laolu Akande, said on Tuesday. He stated this in a release while emphasizing the import of the dialogue the ...FG not deaf to demands,'ll address all grievances – OsinbajoVanguardEthnic agitation: Osinbajo says he has heard the cry of Nigerians, reveals next stepNAIJ.COMBreakingNews 27/6/17 - Agitations: My deals with northern, eastern leaders -OsinbajoNigeria Master WebNigeria Todayall 6Read More »
Daily Post NigeriaSuspended Ekiti PDP Lawmaker, 200 Others Dump Party For APCLeadership NewspapersFollowing his suspension from the Ekiti State House of Assembly, the embattled lawmaker representing Ikole Constituency 1, Hon. Gboyega Aribisogan yesterday dumped the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for All Progressives Congress (APC).Suspended Ekiti lawmaker others dump PDP for APCPremium TimesSuspended Ekiti PDPRead More »
People returning to the village of Kasala, in the province of Kasai, in the DRC, await food distribution.
The UN estimates that more than 3,300 have been killed, and 1.3 million forced to flee violence since last August. Meanwhile, neighboring Angola has expelled 8,000 Congolese refugees seeking an escape from the violence.
A special adviser to United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres urged the Congolese government to reduce its military presence in the violence-plagued Kasai region because of an explosion of deadly violence over the past several months.
More than 3,300 people have been killed in an eight-month spiral of violence in the region. The UN Human Rights Council voted Friday to send a team of experts to investigate reports of gross human rights violations, including beheadings.
"It's vital to reduce the militarization of the government's response and to prioritize dialogue between all parties in the conflict," Adama Dieng, UN special adviser on the prevention of genocide told reporters in Kinshasa.
"There is no genocide in the Kasai," Dieng said. "There is violence that needs to stop as quickly as possible."
Violence erupted in the region after a local tribal leader, who was rebelling against the authority of President Joseph Kabila, was killed during clashes with security forces in August 2016.
The death of the local chief, known as Kamwina Nsapu, sparked a wave of unrest that has forced 1.3 million people from their homes, according to the UN.
Dieng called on Congolese officials to "significantly increase efforts" to identify and punish those guilty of committing human rights violations.
Refugees expelled from Angola
Meanwhile, neighboring Angola has expelled more than 8,000 Congolese who entered the southern African country while fleeing deadly violence at home, the UN said in a new report.
It said more than 30,000 Congolese have fled to Angola since violence erupted in central Kasai last summer.
The report also estimated that militias have used about 500 girls and boys as fighters or "human shields."
Aid access to the region has been limited by the violence, according to the UN.
Italian Foreign Minister Angelino Alfano announced Saturday that Italy will contribute 300,000 euros ($335,000) to UN efforts to "respond to the dramatic humanitarian emergency" in central Kasai to help Congolese refugees in Angola, the Italian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
Alfano said the money would go towards health care, food security, education and "promoting the reliance of the vulnerable refugee populations."
The minister said the aid aims to "ease the burden that weighs on the Angolan government in assuring assistance and protection to the refugee population."
The UN said its overall emergency aid appeal of $64 million for the Kasai crisis "remains poorly funded." The UN refugee agency has requested $6 million to help the Congolese refugees in Angola.
bik/sms (AFP. AP)
Congo-KinshasaDRC's Kabila 'Still Has a Friend in SA', Says Zuma
President Jacob Zuma has made it clear that his counterpart from the Democratic Republic of Congo, Joseph Kabila, still… Read more »Read More »
CHANNELS TELEVISIONShettima Apologises To Civil Servants Over Unpaid SalariesCHANNELS TELEVISIONShettima The Borno state governor, Kashim Shettima has apologised to civil servants in the state over the government's inability to pay salaries before the Eid celebrations. The governor stated this at the Government House on return from Ranat Square ...Shettima urges military to intensify efforts to end Boko Haram menaceGuardian (blog)Eid el Fitr: Shettima apologies to civil servants for inability to pay salariesVanguardEid el-Read More »
The Nation NewspaperRamadan: Yobe orders 12 hours restriction on vehicular movementThe Nation NewspaperThe Yobe Government has issued a 12-hour restriction on the movement of vehicles in the state from 10.p.m. on Saturday to 10 a.m. on Sunday to ensure security during the 'Eid prayers. The government made the order known in a statement issued by ...Sallah celebration: Police restrict movement in BornoThe NewsEid-el-Fitri : Police bans movementRead More »
Daily Post NigeriaAPC, PDP weak, not functioning well – KwankwasoDaily Post NigeriaFormer governor of Kano State, Rabiu Kwankwaso, has said that the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) are weak and lack the capacity to function very well. Kwankwaso disclosed this in Abuja during a ...President Buhari should go for aRead More »
Daily TrustBuhari writes from UK, urges Nigerians to live in peaceDaily TrustBy Isiaka Wakili | Publish Date: Jun 24 2017 8:45PMPresident Muhammadu Buhari on Saturday sent a message of greetings to Nigerian Muslims and Christians on the occasion of the Eid-el-Fitr. facebook · twitter · goolge plus · linkdin; like (0 Likes).Buhari, Dogara salute Muslims on eid-el-fitrNews Agency of Nigeria (press release)Dogara At Eid-el-Fitr: Nigerians Should Channel Diversity In Making The Nation GreatNTA NewsBuhari speaks from London, greets Muslims on SallahPremium TimesAfrica Independent Television -SaharaReporters.comRead More »
The Nation Newspaper2017 budget: Reps blast Fashola for peddling inaccuraciesThe Nation NewspaperThe House of Representatives has described the Minister of Works, Power and Housing, Babatunde Fashola's recent remarks on the 2017 Appropriation Act as an attempt to blackmail the National Assembly. The lawmakers, in a statement on Saturday said ...Fashola's Comments On 2017 Budget 'Calculated Mischief' –Read More »
CHANNELS TELEVISIONSupreme Court Removes Taraba Senator, Orders Him To Refund SalariesCHANNELS TELEVISIONThe Supreme Court has ordered the Senator representing Taraba North Senatorial District, Sani Abubakar Danladi, to vacate the seat immediately and refund all salaries and allowances he received within 90 days. The court also declared Shuaibu Lau of the ...Why Supreme Court sacked Nigerian senatorPremium TimesSupreme Court sacks APC senator, repGuardian (blog)Breaking: Supreme Court sacks Taraba senator Abubakar Danladi, orders him to return all salaries collectedVanguardNIGERIAN TRIBUNE (press release) (blog) -Read More »
Subscribe to France 24 now: http://f24.my/youtubeEN FRANCE 24 live news stream: all the latest news 24/7 http://f24.my/YTliveEN In tonight’s edition: South Africa’s highest court rules that the parliamentary speaker can allow a secret ballot for another no-confidence vote in Zuma; Nigerian refugees in Cameroon are being encouraged to return home …Read More »
CHANNELS TELEVISIONDino Melaye's Recall : INEC to verify petitioners, notifies SenatorPulse NigeriaSenator Dino Melaye has however dismissed the petition, adding that the whole thing is shrouded in money politics. Published: 2 minutes ago; Chika Ebuzor. Print; eMail · Senator Dino Melaye play. Senator Dino Melaye. (Punch) ...Melaye's Recall: INEC to verify petitioners' signatures July 3Daily TrustAs Dino Melaye's Political Sunset LoomsBy Peter Claver OparahSaharaReporters.comYour recall process starts July 3, INEC writes MelayeTheCableCHANNELS TELEVISION -Vanguard -Premium Times -NIGERIAN TRIBUNE (press release) (blog)all 79 news articles »Read More »
Daily TrustEid El-Fitr: FG declares Monday, Tuesday public holidaysDaily TrustThe Federal Government has declared Monday, 26th and Tuesday 27th June 2017 as Public Holiday to mark Eid El-Fitr celebration. The Minister of Interior Abdulrahman Bello Dambazau made the declaration on behalf of the Federal Government in a ...FG warns northern youths, agitatingRead More »
NetPlus and Mastercard to offer cashless payment solution in African e-commerce sector. Within an African e-commerce sector which is plagued by cash, with the majority of payments still being made in cash at the point of delivery, Mastercard has partnered with Nigerian tech start-up, NetPlus to develop an e-commerce solution that will help make cash a thing of the past, for e-retailers and consumers alike. The Mastercard e-commerce solution empowers the consumer, the ...Read More »
Nigeria's aviation industry has suffered a prolongedRead More »
VanguardMany will go to jail for my recall, says Dino MelayeVanguardConstituents of Kogi West Senatorial District on Wednesday submitted a petition to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) demanding the recall of Dino Melaye from the Senate. Dino Melaye. ADVERTISING. inRead invented by Teads.Dino Melaye spits fire, says many will go to jail for his recallNAIJ.COMIs Dino Melaye about to be disgraced by his people?Pulse NigeriaRECALL: I'm laughing at the stupidity of Kogi govt –MelayeRipples NigeriaPremium Times -CHANNELS TELEVISION -Daily Post Nigeria -SIGNAL (press release)all 30 news articles »Read More »
Photo: Dennis Onsongo/The Nation
Nasa presidential candidate Raila Odinga, flanked by ODM legislators, addresses the media at his office in Nairobi on June 19, 2017.By Ibrahim Oruko
Nasa presidential candidate Raila Odinga has dismissed as absolute nonsense the rising calls for his arrest over remarks he is alleged to have made last week, insisting that his government would address land ownership laws, which he accused the Jubilee government of messing up.
He said the National Super Alliance government will implement the Truth, Justice and Reconciliation Commission report and the National Land Policy to resolve historical injustices on land.
Mr Odinga said calls for his arrest were a waste of time and maintained there was nothing he said at Maili 46 in Kajiado West Sub-County, Kajiado County, that would amount to incitement.
"Investigate what?" scoffed Mr Odinga. "There is nothing I have said that requires investigations."
At a press conference in his Capitol Hill office in Nairobi, Mr Odinga also asked Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Nkaissery to stop chest-thumping and "saying things that are not true".
Mr Nkaissery on Sunday revealed that Mr Odinga was under investigation by State agencies.
National Assembly Majority Leader Aden Duale, however, appeared to have softened his stand, demanding that Mr Odinga issue a public apology.
Mr Odinga said he read malice in the calls, pointing out that just two days ago President Uhuru Kenyatta, while issuing title deeds to IDPs in Kiambu County, asked residents not to sell their land.
"Jubilee Party is sensationalising the comments I made because they have messed up with the land chapters of the Constitution and also because scaremongering is the only campaign tool they are left with," said Mr Odinga.
The Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) leader was accompanied by the party's MPs Elijah Memusi (Kajiado Central) and Mathew Lempurkel (Laikipia North) and Busia Governor Sospeter Ojaamong.
The former Prime Minister dismissed the Community Lands Act 2016 as a mockery and a defective legislation incapable of protecting the land rights of marginalised communities.
He said it had downplayed the roles of county governments and the National Land Commission (NLC) in the administration and management of lands and the powers instead vested in the Cabinet secretary for Lands.
"The Jubilee government wants these lands to remain available for sale, even when they are being sold in breach of trust," said Mr Odinga.
"The sales are dispossessing future generations of marginalised communities, particularly the Maasai people."
He said to build a fair, just and equitable society, Nasa would pursue community land rights through the recommendations of the Truth, Justice and Reconciliation Commission report, which has detailed measures to tackle the poverty that was pushing the communities to sell their ancestral lands.
He said the National Land Policy, which provides the jurisprudence and framework for the chapter on land, addresses historical land injustices perpetrated against the communities in Rift Valley, central Kenya and the Coast and the challenges facing marginalised and indigenous communities.
"Unless the Constitution is amended, the land question cannot be wished away," added Mr Odinga.
He pleaded with those who are registered as proprietors to stop selling land that they hold in trust, urging them to put the interests of the young Maasai people first because it is for them that they hold the land.
Mr Memusi said the issue raised by Mr Odinga affected the Maasai and urged Jubilee to stop politicising it.Read More »