Home / News (page 2216)

News

August, 2016

  • 30 August

    Africa: Memorable Time in Zulu Land, South Africa

    That the Zulu people are the trademark of a well-celebrated cultural heritage and history in South Africa, which holds the social fabric together isn't in doubt. So popular is their stomping of feet during traditional dance performances as they sing with joy and patriotism, making visitors marvel at the energy and majestic movements of the entertaining dancers.

    Start the conversation, or Read more at AllAfrica.com.

  • 30 August

    Tanzania: Democracy, Political Walls and Animal Husbandry

    Africa News – Am like tea drunkard, so much that when I miss my cup of tea, I am restless and irritable. I do not particularly enjoy black tea as I am dark enough, thank you very much. (c) Africa News – Read entire story here.

  • 30 August

    South African Treasury Says Eskom Resists Gupta Firm Probe

    South Africa's National Treasury said state-owned utility Eskom Holdings SOC Ltd. is resisting its efforts to review coal-supply contracts with Tegeta Exploration & Resources Ltd. and ignores the department. "The National Treasury would like to categorically state that its efforts have met resistance," it said in an e-mailed statement on Monday.

    Start the conversation, or Read more at The Washington Post.

  • 30 August

    Tunisia ‘terrorist attack’ kills three soldiers

    Three Tunisian soldiers were killed in a "terrorist attack" on Monday near Mount Sammama, a hideout for jihadists at war with the authorities, security sources said. They told AFP the attack left six other soldiers wounded, without giving further details.

    Start the conversation, or Read more at New Vision.

  • 30 August

    Zimbabwe rights body criticises ‘violent’ police crackdown

    TimesLIVE – Zimbabwe’s Human Rights Commission (ZHRC) has accused the police of brutality and violating the rights of protesters when clamping down on anti-government demonstrations in the last two months. (c) TimesLIVE – Read entire story here.

  • 30 August

    Five dead in Shabaab suicide car bomb at Somalia hotel

    TimesLIVE – At least five people were killed when jihadists exploded a suicide car bomb outside a popular hotel close to the presidential palace in Somalia’s capital Mogadishu on Tuesday. (c) TimesLIVE – Read entire story here.

  • 30 August

    Mark Zuckerberg makes first-ever visit to Sub-Saharan Africa – CNNMoney

    africa news – Google News – CNNMoney Mark Zuckerberg makes first-ever visit to Sub-Saharan AfricaCNNMoneyThe Facebook founder visited Sub-Saharan Africa for the first time on Tuesday, touching down in Lagos, Nigeria. He met with local businesses and developers in an effort to understand how Facebook (FB, Tech30) could "better support …

  • 30 August

    S Africa school ordered to end ‘racist’ hair rules – Aljazeera.com

    africa news – Google News – Aljazeera.com S Africa school ordered to end 'racist' hair rulesAljazeera.comA South African school has been ordered to suspend allegedly racist hairstyle regulations after black pupils said they had been called monkeys by teachers for wearing banned "afros", and were forced to chemically straighten their …

  • 30 August

    Somalia: Mogadishu Car Bomb Targets Hotel, Presidential Palace

    Photo: Ahmed Osman/IPS

    Wreckage of one of the suicide car bombs used to attack the presidential palace in Mogadishu, Somalia’s capital on Friday Feb. 21, 2014. Nine militants were killed in the attack (file photo).

    A suicide bomber has detonated a car bomb outside a popular Mogadishu hotel. Several soldiers were killed in the blast near the presidential compound. It is the third attack on the same hotel in less than three years.

    The bomb exploded during a traffic jam on Tuesday, police captain Mohamed Hussein said. Officials believe the militants targeted the SYL hotel which frequented by government officials.

    The hotel is close to the main checkpoint which protects the entrance to the presidential compound.

    "So far we know five government soldiers died in the blast," police officer Colonel Abdikadir Hussein told Reuters. "The death toll may rise."

    Another nearby hotel was damaged when the car bomb exploded, officials said.

    "I saw a car speeding towards the area and huge smoke and fire went up in the sky," witness Elmi Ahmed told the AFP news agency.

    The explosion could be heard across the Somali capital, with witnesses from the scene reporting sporadic gunfire after the incident.

    The al-Shabab terror group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack via radio Andalus, which is linked to the organization. They said they targeted the SYL hotel because it "is close to the presidential palace, and also home to apostates and unbelievers."

    The latest suicide bombing is the third attack on the same hotel in less than three years. The previous two attacks killed a total of 19 people.

    The hotel was popular with government officials, business people and visiting diplomats and delegations. It was previously attacked in February this year and January last year.

    dj/jm (Reuters, dpa, AP, AFP)

    More on This

    Loud Explosion Just Heard in Mogadishu

    A huge car bomb blast was heard near Somali palace in Mogadishu, with reports it was car bomb targeted on a popular… Read more »

  • 30 August

    Nigeria: Borno Govt to Relocate Displaced

    The Borno Government announced on Tuesday that it planned to immediately relocate Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) from Konduga, Mafa and Dikwa local government areas taking refuge in Maiduguri back home.

    Babagana Umara, the Commissioner for Reconstruction and Rehabilitation, stated this while meeting with Victor Ezugwu, the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 7 Division of the Nigerian Army in Maiduguri.

    Mr. Umara said the action followed the directives of Gov. Kashim Shettima after the attainment of peace in the areas which were hitherto under the control of the Boko Haram terrorists.

    "Gov. Kashim Shettima has ordered the immediate relocation of the IDPs from Konduga, Mafa and Dikwa local government areas from Maiduguri to their respective areas.

    "This include those staying in refugee camp in Dikwa who will be moved into the main town," he said.

    Mr. Umara said the meeting was to map out security arrangement toward the success of the programme.

    He said that the state government was making arrangement to put in place necessary infrastructure for the comfort of the IDPs at home.

    Mr. Umara commended the gallant efforts of the military in reclaiming the areas from the terrorists.

    He also appealed to the GOC to assist in mobilising the necessary security for the success of the exercise.

    Responding, Mr. Ezugwu, a Brig-Gen., assured that the military would provide enough security for the relocation of the IDPs, as requested.

    He said the military would work with other security agencies to ensure maintenance of peace in the communities after the exercise.

    (NAN)

    Nigeria

    Facebook Founder, Mark Zuckerberg, Arrives Nigeria in First Africa Trip

    Facebook founder, Mark Zuckerberg is in Nigeria on a business research trip. Read more »

  • 30 August

    Imo condemns religious intolerance – The Eagle Online

    The Eagle OnlineImo condemns religious intoleranceThe Eagle OnlineThe Deputy Governor of Imo State, Prince Eze Madumere, has reiterated the Imo State Government's stance against religious and ethnic intolerances, describing it as the greatest threat to the unity and development of Nigeria. Prince Madumere stated this ...and more »

  • 30 August

    In night operation, air force strikes Boko Haram camp – TheCable

    TheCableIn night operation, air force strikes Boko Haram campTheCableThe Nigeria air force says it has destroyed a Boko Haram camp in an air strike in northern Borno. Ayodele Famuyiwa, air force spokesman, said this in a statement on Tuesday. The latest operation is coming 10 days after the military announced that it ...Nigerian Air Force Helicopter Destroys New Boko Haram CampAllAfrica.comNigerian

  • 30 August

    ANC Western Cape divisions exposed in contradictory statements on Fransman – News24

    News24ANC Western Cape divisions exposed in contradictory statements on FransmanNews24Cape Town - Raw divisions in the African National Congress in the Western Cape were laid bare in a statement by the provincial executive committee on Tuesday, distancing itself from an earlier call from within its ranks for the suspension of ...ANC's Western Cape PEC makes U-turn on Fransman suspension claimsEyewitness NewsANC MPL gets boot as W Cape deputy chief whipIndependent OnlineThe ANC says disciplinary procedures against Marius Fransman must be expeditedMail & GuardianBDliveall 9 news articles »

  • 30 August

    I rejected $100000 plus 4×4 vehicle bribe – former Presby Moderator – The Statesman Online

    The Statesman OnlineI rejected $100000 plus 4x4 vehicle bribe - former Presby ModeratorThe Statesman OnlineThe outgoing Moderator of the Presbyterian Church, Rev. Prof. Emmanuel Martey has dismissed suggestions that the church supports a political party. The outgoing Moderator of the Presbyterian Church, Rev. Prof. Emmanuel Martey has dismissed ...Prof. Martey descends on NDC's 'babies with sharp teeth'GhanaWebPresby Church not NPP – MarteyStarr 103.5 FMElection 2016: Presby church doesn't support NPP - Rev. Emmanuel MarteyPulse.com.ghYEN.COM.GH -Peace FM Online -Nigeria Todayall 10 news articles »

  • 30 August

    ANC never received R80m – Mantashe on Prasa bribery claims – News24

    News24ANC never received R80m - Mantashe on Prasa bribery claimsNews24ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe during a news conference at Luthuli House in Johannesburg. (Cornel van Heerden, Netwerk24). Multimedia · User Galleries · News in Pictures Send us your pictures · Send us your stories ...ANC did not receive R80m from Prasa, Gwede Mantashe saysBDliveANC distances itself from dodgy Prasa dealSouth African Broadcasting CorporationANC denies receiving R80 million from Prasa‚

  • 30 August

    #PretoriaGirlsHigh unconstitutional hair policy shelved – Independent Online

    Independent Online#PretoriaGirlsHigh unconstitutional hair policy shelvedIndependent OnlineJohannesburg - Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi has asked the province's schools to review their codes of conduct after that of Pretoria Girls High was suspended for “insensitivity”. Lesufi said the codes could not contradict the constitution.Roots and racism: pride, shame, and policing bodies in schoolseNCA (satire)S African school told to

  • 30 August

    Tensions high in Gabon over elections results – eNCA

    eNCATensions high in Gabon over elections resultseNCAA woman votes during the presidential election in Libreville, Gabon, August 27, 2016. Gabon is on edge as it waits for the past weekend's presidential election results. Photo: Reuters / Erauds Wilfried Obangome. LIBREVILLE – Security forces deployed on ...Gabon army deployed before official result of election is announcedThe GuardianGabon condemns Ping, warns French officials against "interference"Daily MailTension mounts as Gabon awaits results of presidential voteWTOPNewsweek -News24 -UN News Centre -euronewsall 32 news articles »

  • 30 August

    Edo 2016: Ize-Iyamu’ camp backs down as court strikes out case – Vanguard

    The Nation NewspaperEdo 2016: Ize-Iyamu' camp backs down as court strikes out caseVanguardThe disputed Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidature for the Edo September 10 governorship election has taken a new twist following an FCT High Court which on Tuesday struck out Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu's suit on the grounds that Ize-iyamu's camp ...PHOTOS: PDP candidate converts Redeemed Church to campaign groundNews24 NigeriaIze-

  • 30 August

    Rohde out on strict bail conditions – Independent Online

    Independent OnlineRohde out on strict bail conditionsIndependent OnlineUNDER stringent bail conditions granted yesterday, murder accused Jason Rohde will be forced to remain in the province until at least his next court appearance. Rohde, accused of the murder of his wife Susan, was released on R100 000 bail and the ...Rohde lawyers worried about